If you love eating mushrooms and are keen on growing them at home, you’re in the right place.
Growing mushrooms can be fun, exciting, and above all, rewarding as you get to eat delectable homemade mushrooms. You can even earn some extra money if you decide to sell them at the farmer’s market or directly to local restaurants.
To get started, you first need to learn about the various mushroom grow kits available on the market. There are many, and you will need to decide which ones you want to grow.
Confused? Don’t worry. Here’s a little help coming your way. We have picked up the 8 best mushroom grow kits that are currently available. These kits offer various types of mushrooms, so read on and make your choice.
Here is our choice of eight easy mushroom grow kits that will allow you to enjoy growing mushrooms in the comfort of your own home.
Oyster Mushroom Grow Kits
Oyster mushrooms are the easiest and most reliable of all mushrooms. All you need to do is to add water and put the grow kit in a humid place, outside of direct sunlight. A bathroom is a great place, as is your basement if you have one.
Back to the Roots Organic Oyster Mushroom Farm — These mushrooms grow to maturity quickly. They will be ready to eat in just 10-15 days. Well worth the price for some fresh oyster mushrooms, and the kit makes a great gift, too!
- The kit includes everything that you need to grow oyster mushrooms
- Water the substrate twice a day for one week
- Once the first crop (flush) of mushrooms grows, pick them and add some water. Many times a second and even a third crop will grow.
Forest Origins White and Brown Oyster Mushroom Grow Kit — This kit is another great option to consider for first-time mushroom growers. With this kit, you’ll get a bag of blue oyster mushroom spawn inoculated into a substrate made mostly of straw. You’ll also get detailed instructions on cutting the package and instructions on how to set it in a clean bowl with around a half-inch of water.
- This is an indoor kit and can be kept at a normal household temperature
- Simply submerge the bag in cold water for 12 hours and then mist generously 2 or 3 times per day.
- You can harvest the mushrooms in 10 to 15 days, and you can get up to four flushes (crops) out of this kit.
Shiitake mushrooms grow all year-round; however, as they are the second most commonly consumed mushroom, you may find it a bit difficult to find them in grocery stores. Shiitakes mushrooms are wide, have an umbrella-shaped cap, and have unique brown tones.
Shiitake mushrooms are a bit trickier to grow. Most shiitake mushroom kits will come with a log and some mushroom spores. You will put the spores into holes in the log and then plug those holes. Spray the log with water a couple of times per week and then 4-6 months later you’ll have a crop of shiitake mushrooms.
2 Fun Guys Shiitake Grow Kit. This easy grow kit provides hand-cut logs of around 12 inches in length. These logs are ready to be used as they are pre-drilled and filled with spores and sealed with cheese wax. All you need to do is place this log in a convenient location and follow the kit’s instructions.
- Soak log for 24 hours in cold water and place it in a cool, shady, and dark location
- Mist the log with water every week
- The log won’t produce fruit for at least 4-6 months
- Click Here for Prices
Root Mushroom Farm Shiitake Mushroom Growing Kit. If you want a generous amount of healthy, organic mushrooms in a very short time, go with this kit. It is one of the best kits for beginners as it comes ready-to-go as soon as you get it. You may start growing right away or even choose to refrigerate the kit for a week, depending on your situation.
- The kit has a ready-to-use Shiitake mushroom log
- It also has a humidity tent, a small spray bottle, and an instruction booklet
- This kit will enable the sprouting of mushrooms in just 4 days
Other Mushroom Grow Kits
Portobello / Crimini / White Button Mushroom Kits
Willow Mountain Mushrooms, Portobello/Crimini Mushroom Growing Kit. Crimini, also known as baby portobello, has a similar flavor to white button mushrooms. In fact, white button mushrooms are the younger version of crimini mushrooms. If you’re interested in experiencing its earthy and nutty taste, consider getting this mushroom growing kit.
The kit includes mushroom spores, as well as the dirt that the mushrooms need to grow in.
- Use the kit within a couple of days of receiving it
- Water it regularly
- You won’t require any light to grow these mushrooms, so leaving them in a closet is fine.
Willow Mountain White Button Mushroom Growing Kit. White button mushrooms are consumed across the globe and can be used in almost any recipe. Above all, they are very easy to cook. Be it soups, stews, or stir-fries, white mushrooms are a welcomed component to many dishes. You may even consider them as a topping for your meat, fish, pizza, and poultry dishes.
We have grown several flushes successfully using this kit, and find it to be more reliable than others on the market.
- This kit does not require light. The growing temperature can be anywhere between 63-68 degrees F
- It comes with a spawned growing medium and casing layer along with a set of instructions
- It is great for the home cook and grows up to 4lbsof mushrooms in a span of 4 to 6 weeks
Morel Mushroom Grow Kit
KCHEX Morel Mushroom Spore Growing Kit. Growing your own morels? Yes, it is possible. But this kit is for starting a little morel patch outdoors, so you’ll need a shady area outside to grow them.
This kit is a bit more finicky than most, but if you have success, you will have lots of delicious morels the spring after you plant them, and they may start coming back every year.
If you live in a temperate area and have a place to grow them, give this kit a try!
- The propagation success rate with this kit is very high
- The kit comes at a reasonable price
- You can consider using this kit at any time of the year as long as dirt is not frozen
Cordyceps Grow Kit
Root Mushroom Farm Cordyceps Grow Kit. Growing cordyceps has never been easier than with this kit, and they are considered to be quite easy to grow at home. This kit contains everything you’ll need to grow these mushrooms. Additionally, it comes with detailed instructions that will guide you through the process.
- In the U.S., Cordyceps Militaris is also known as Caterpillar Killer or Scarlet Club Fungus
- You will not need any extra tools to grow your mushrooms, as you get everything you need with this kit
- This kit makes a good gift. It also works well for school projects
Purchasing a mushroom growing kit is the easiest way to have your own homegrown mushrooms. You can grow a variety of mushrooms, depending on your choice and preference.
Overall, the 8 kits we describe above for growing mushrooms will be a breeze, especially for beginners. Follow the instructions and you will enjoy the mushroom growing process right from the comfort of your home. And some of these mushrooms can be ready in just a couple of weeks. What are you waiting for?